Should Manchester City Convince Stefan Ortega to Stay?


Nottingham Forest v Manchester City - Premier League
Photo by Alex Livesey/Getty Images

He could be a key player.

Stefan Ortega has stepped in to save Manchester City again and again this season following Ederson's unavailability due to injury.


The German has proved himself every time he has been called upon, demonstrating he is not just good for a place on the bench, he can do a good job as well when called upon.


After a couple of years at the Etihad Stadium, the German goalkeeper is considering a move away from the club at the end of the season. He has given family reasons as well as a desire to play regular football as his motivation.


Although he says he and his family are happy at the club, he has not ruled out the possibility of leaving at the end of the campaign. That means with just a year left on his contract, a departure in the summer is on the cards. All that's required is a small fee to sign him from City.


"At the end it’s not my single decision, my [wife] is there as well, we’re expecting the second child," Ortega said in a recent interview.


"I’m not in the beginning of the 20s so I have to choose wisely now what I’m doing in summer. It’s not that I have to push the club that they will sell me, it’s just like see what happens. I’m relaxed because there are worse places than here.


"My family and me are really happy here. My wife struggled a bit in the beginning but I think it’s normal to go in a different country. Now everyone is happy.


"I’m happy to be here because it’s one of the biggest clubs in the world. The target is still the same, I’m ambitious from the beginning and this is what I try to do every day."


For quite some time it has been clear that Ortega is not satisfied with the minutes he is getting. Although those minutes have increased a bit recently due to Ederson's forced absences. That may still not be enough.


At 31, the German is enjoying the last years of his career. He certainly doesn't want to spend them warming the bench.


Yes, he doesn't have a long-term future at the Etihad Stadium. But City could still use his services for the next couple of years.


Ederson remains Pep Guardiola's first choice in goal but maybe it's about time he shares the workload. The Brazilian will be 31 in the summer meaning he is not getting any younger himself.


Ultimately City need to start making transfer plans for a long term replacement between the sticks. But convincing Ortega to stay for another year or two and share the workload with Ederson will be a good deal.


Source - bitterandblue.sbnation.com