Amputee wins Puskas award for greatest purpose of 2022



Amputee footballer Marcin Oleksy noticed off competitors from Tottenham Hotspur's Richarlison and Marseille's Dimitri Payet to win the FIFA Puskas Award for greatest purpose on Monday.

Oleksy, 36, scored a surprising overhead kick for Warta Poznan in November towards Stal Rzeszow, planting considered one of his crutches into the bottom whereas turning mid-air to fireside into the web.

- Stream on ESPN+: LaLiga, Bundesliga, extra (U.S.)

His purpose trumped Richarlison's acrobatic volley for Brazil towards Serbia and Payet's elegant, long-range strike to win the award and change into the primary amputee to ever win the award. Targets from Paris Saint-Germain ahead Kylian Mbappe and Manchester United striker Alessia Russo had been nominated within the authentic shortlist earlier than it was whittled all the way down to a ultimate three.

"It's been difficult for me to even dream about an award like this," Oleksy stated. "I'm standing earlier than you right now receiving the award for the very best purpose on this planet.

- Amputee footballer tells ESPN about marvel purpose that gained first prize

"I'm dedicating this award to Ewelina, Tomek, Tosia -- as a result of it was due to them that I used to be in a position to choose myself up after the accident and am right here now, and may rating such lovely targets.

"I also want to thank the entire football community because someone has created this beautiful sport that makes it possible for us to find fulfilment. Thank you very much!"

Talking to ESPN earlier this month, Puskas winner Oleksy stated scoring his award-winning purpose "felt like magic," including that he didn't anticipate it to obtain worldwide plaudits.

"When I saw how the ball was played toward me, at the height it was, I thought 'this could be something beautiful,'" he stated. "So I just hit it. I was following it with my eyes, and when I saw it in the net it just felt like magic.

"Throughout apply, we do not actually typically attempt to do these sorts of photographs. However after I began enjoying amputee soccer, I at all times needed to do one thing particular."

"I discovered the subsequent day, as a result of the large TV stations and sports activities retailers began to indicate it. I knew then that it was going to be one thing massive in Poland, however not throughout the entire world."

Oleksy, who made five appearances for Poland at the WAFF Amputee Football World Cup in Turkey last year, joins names such as Mohamed Salah and Son Heung-min on the list of Puskas winners.

He was awarded the honour on the night of FIFA The Best awards. Lionel Messi won Best FIFA Men's Player while Barcelona's Alexia Putellas gained Greatest FIFA Ladies's Participant.




Supply hyperlink - espnfc.com